One of the most scenic treks in India, in an area which has attracted people for centuries. The trek starts from the 18th century temple of Gangotri and goes beyond the source of Ganga to the meadow of Tapovan, favorite spot for sadhus meditating in the Himalayas. Gaumukh, the snout of the glacier, Tapovan and the mighty peaks of the Garhwal Himalayas definitely make it a special trek. From passing orchards of coniferous pine trees at Chirbasa and birch at Bhojbasa, and the retreating glacier at Gaumukh, the source of the Bhagirathi; a plethora of sights and experiences in the shadow of Himalayan giants – the Bhagirathi massif and the beautiful Shivling peaks.
- Day 1: Dehradun Airport – Kuflon (1550 M)
Fly in to the Jolly Grant Airport by 9AM. Board waiting vehicles to be driven straight to Kuflon Basics in the Assi Ganga valley (7hrs). Breakfast enroute. Overnight Kuflon.
- Day 2: Kuflon – Gangotri – Chirbasa (3600 M)
Drive 4 hrs to reach the holy shrine of Gangotri (3000m). Visit the temple and the start the 4 hr walk up towards Gaumukh, the source of the river Ganges. The trail keeps following the river and just short of Chirbasa one gets the first views of the Bhagirathi Peaks. Chirbasa (3600m), literally meaning the home of pine is now a cluster of shops and some pine trees. Walk down from the main trail and setup camp close to the river.
- Day 3: Chirbasa – Bhojbasa (3800 M)
Have a relaxed day with only about 3 hrs of walk. Reach the campsite of Bhojbasa, home of birch (now only a few left in the much denuded area) and setup camp. Evening walk to one of the high points close by is recommended for better acclimatisation.
- Day 4: Bhojbasa – Tapovan (4450 M)
Walk about 2hrs to reach Gaumukh (4000m), the source of the Ganges. Spend time admiring the beauty and the power of nature. It’s a visual treat and an experience in itself to watch the Ganga gush out of the snout of the Gangotri glacier. Cross the glacier and start the steep ascent to reach the beautiful meadow of Tapovan.
- Day 5: Tapovan – Kirti Glacier – Tapovan (4450 M)
An early morning start for a full day trek to Kirti Bamak glacier. From here you can see the Kedardome peak, Kedarnath, Bhartekuntha, Thalay Sagar, Bhrigupanth, Meru and a magnificent view of Shivling from the east. After exploring the area return to Tapovan for dinner and overnight camp.
- Day 6: Tapovan (4450 M)
Rest day at Tapovan – a lush green meadow dotted with wildflowers right at the foot of the giant Shivling. Spend your day doing walks around the campsite, or visiting the sadhus, reading a book or just admiring the mighty peaks of Bhagirathi, Shivling, Meru and others.
- Day 7: Tapovan – Chirbasa (3600 M)
Start the trek back to reach Chirbasa in about 5 hrs. Setup camp.
- Day 8: Chirbasa – Gangotri – Kuflon
After breakfast carry on the trail to reach Gangotri (4hrs) and board the waiting vehicles to drive back to the camp Kuflon Basics for the comforts of hot shower, barbeque and the campfire.
- Day 9: Kuflon – Dehradun Airport
Drive back (7 hrs) to Jolly Grant Airport to board an evening flight back home.
- All arrangements for staying and camping while on trip
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in tents / hotel
- All meals as mentioned in itinerary & safe drinking water
- All trip arrangements with India’s most experienced guiding team, camp staff and cooks
- Peak fee / sanctuary fee / royalty / permits where applicable
- Sleeping bag
- Flights not included in the above-mentioned cost
- Any transfers or meals outside of itinerary
- Bottled water
- Items of personal clothing
- Expenses of any personal nature (laundry / phone calls / alcohol / cigarettes / insurance / camera fee / etc.)
- Any expense incurred due to force of nature such as landslides, bad weather or reasons beyond our control
- Tips & gratuities (we recommend 5-10% of your trip cost- to be distributed among the team) – personal choice
- Travel & cancellation insurance
A bunch of us friends recently got in touch with Aquaterra Adventures to set up a whitewater rafting trip on the Tons River in the north Indian state of Uttarakhand. The Aquaterra team were excellent in every way: they were superbly efficient, highly reassuringly safe and extremely warm, friendly and hospitable.
There isn’t a more classy example of a team that is so well organised, courteous, warm and welcoming! The arrangements right from the camping sights, food, refreshments and stay were so extremely comfortable, of-course the food and the variety offered just beat everything else.
Camp Bagi (near Mori, Uttarakhand) is a beautifully located and professionally maintained wilderness camping site. Operated by Aquaterra, the gold standard in adventure tours in India, it offered us a highly memorable rafting, hiking and camping experience over the 4 days that we stayed there (May 28-31, 2019)
Great job by the team, especially Rana. We went with 2 kids aged 2.5 yrs and 6.5 yrs and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. My elder one loved the trek and the rafting experience was great too! Definitely recommend it for others.
We strive to create the best trips possible for you, with uncommon professionalism, unsurpassed personal service and a commitment to protect and preserve the cultures and environments through which we travel. Get in touch with us to plan your next holiday.