Meandering through the Govind Vihar sanctuary, Har Ki Dun Valley is rich culturally and a paradise for bird watchers and nature lovers. Mythologically, it is the same trail taken by the Pandavas on their route to Heaven through the domineering massif of Swargarohini.
Trek through quaint villages, alpine meadows covered with wildflowers, moraine ridges and glacier basins to get magnificent views of Swargarohini – I, II, III, Bandarpoonch and Blackpeak – all this make for an excellent hike in early spring and the post monsoon.
- Day 1: Dehradun – Tons (1150 M)
Arrive at Haridwar by the morning flight landing at 0800 hrs. Alternatively, you can fly in to the Jolly Grant Airport a day earlier. Board waiting vehicles to be driven for 6 hours to reach Aquaterra’s Camp Bagi in the secluded Tons Valley.
- Day 2: Tons – Taluka – Bheduka – Khappu Thach (2400 M)
Early morning breakfast and leave camp by 7am. Drive 2 hours to reach the starting point of our trek. Trek to the village of Taluka. From here, the trail descents to the river valley and continues through the forest on the true side of the valley. In spring, there are plenty of Gujars (pastorals with buffalo herd) camping as they make their way to the higher pastures. We climb past the village of Datmir to its grazing grounds at Khappu Thach.
- Day 3: Khappu Thach – Dev Thach (3000 M)
Trek to Dev Thach a large alpine meadow. The path continues winding through the forest until the village of Osla appears on the opposite side of the valley. The main trail does not divert to Osla. Instead it leads through a row of tea shops and a forest rest house known as Seema (2500m). From here it’s an hour’s walk up to the beautiful meadow.
- Day 4: Dev Thach – Ruinsara Tal (3500 M)
The trail leads through mixed forest and meadows of forget-me-nots and buttercups. Halfway to the lake, the valley widens and crosses a series of flowered meadows where shepherds from the nearby villages graze their flocks in the summer. Ruinsara Lake is considered sacred by the surrounding villages. It is above the main valley floor on the true side, surrounded by alpine pastures and low rhododendrons beneath the impressive Swargarohini Range Camp. We camp ten mins from the lake.
- Day 5: Ruinsara – Dev Thach (3000 M)
A relaxed day to laze around and appreciate the magnificent view of the snow-clad peaks of the Swargarohini or walk towards the base camp of Bandarpunch Peak to catch a close-up of the magnificent mountain. Return to camp for an early lunch and proceed down to camp at Dev Thach.
- Day 6: Dev Thach – Bheduka (2200 M)
Long walk down to the campsite of Bheduka.
- Day 7: Bheduka – Tons (1090 M)
Trek from Bheduka to the road head at Taluka. Drive to Camp Bagi.
- Day 8: Tons – Dehradun
After breakfast drive all the way down to Dehradun to board the evening flight back to onward destination. Trip Ends!
- All arrangements for staying and camping while on trip
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in tents / hotel
- All meals as mentioned in itinerary & safe drinking water
- All trip arrangements with India’s most experienced guiding team, camp staff and cooks
- Individual rafting equipment
- Peak fee / sanctuary fee / royalty / permits where applicable
- Sleeping bag
- Flights not included in the above-mentioned cost
- Any transfers or meals outside of itinerary
- Bottled water
- Items of personal clothing
- Expenses of any personal nature (laundry / phone calls / alcohol / cigarettes / insurance / camera fee / etc.)
- Any expense incurred due to force of nature such as landslides, bad weather or reasons beyond our control
- Tips & gratuities (we recommend 5-10% of your trip cost- to be distributed among the team) – personal choice
- Travel & cancellation insurance
A bunch of us friends recently got in touch with Aquaterra Adventures to set up a whitewater rafting trip on the Tons River in the north Indian state of Uttarakhand. The Aquaterra team were excellent in every way: they were superbly efficient, highly reassuringly safe and extremely warm, friendly and hospitable.
There isn’t a more classy example of a team that is so well organised, courteous, warm and welcoming! The arrangements right from the camping sights, food, refreshments and stay were so extremely comfortable, of-course the food and the variety offered just beat everything else.
Camp Bagi (near Mori, Uttarakhand) is a beautifully located and professionally maintained wilderness camping site. Operated by Aquaterra, the gold standard in adventure tours in India, it offered us a highly memorable rafting, hiking and camping experience over the 4 days that we stayed there (May 28-31, 2019)
Great job by the team, especially Rana. We went with 2 kids aged 2.5 yrs and 6.5 yrs and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. My elder one loved the trek and the rafting experience was great too! Definitely recommend it for others.
We strive to create the best trips possible for you, with uncommon professionalism, unsurpassed personal service and a commitment to protect and preserve the cultures and environments through which we travel. Get in touch with us to plan your next holiday