The pass is probably the best window to view the high Himalayan peaks. The views are simply breathtaking, facing north the vision sweeps from the gorges of Trishul in the east to the peaks of Kedarnath in the west-Kedarnath, Chaukhamba, Nilkantha, Kamet, Gauri Parbat, Hathi Parbat, Nandadevi, Bethartoli, Dunagiri-(all high 6000ers or 7000 m peaks) lined one after the other in a magnificent arc-Southwards the foothills stretch wave upon wave on to the dim haze of the distant plains. Dotted by some remote villages one also gets good insights into the local life.
- Day 1: Mineralnye Vody Airport – Terskol Village (2000 M)
Only a 2 hour flight away from Moscow, we arrive at Mineralnye Vody Airport. We get into our waiting vehicles to be driven 4-hours to Terskol village in theBaksan valley. Overnight hotel.
- Day 2: Acclimatisation – Terskol Village (2000 M)
Acclimatization ascent on Observatory of Elbrus (3150 m). Excursion party to the local bazaar (souvenirs and handmade woollen things). Overnight hotel.
- Day 3: Terskol Village – Barrels Camp (3750 M)
We check out of the hotel and drive 4-km up to “Azau” (2250m), the lowest station of the Elbrus cable-way. We take the cable-way up to the highest point – “Gara-Bashi” station (3750 m), which includes 2 lower cabin spans, and the upper part –chair-lift. The latter one does not operate sometimes depending on the weather conditions.
We stay at the “Bochki” (“Barrels”) high mountain hotel or in some other huts hereabouts for the next four nights. We take a 1.5-hour acclimatization walk up to another hotel – “Priutodinnadtsati” (“Shelter of the 11”, 4050 m) and return down to “Barrels”.
- Day 4: Acclimatisation – Barrels Camp (3750 M)
Acclimatization ascent up to Pastukhov’s Rocks (4650 m) or higher (4700-4800 m).Return down to “Barrels” (3-4 hours up and 1-1.5 hour down).
- Day 5: Barrels Camp – Summit – Barrels Camp (3750 M)
Summit day. Ascent of Elbrus West (5642 m) or Elbrus East (5621m), depending on the conditions. We leave for the summit push at 2am and take a Snowcat upto 4600 M and start walking. Elbrus’ biggest challenge is the cold and one needs to be clothed very well. The summit push takes 10-12 hours. We return to the “Barrels” to spend the night.
- Day 6 and 7: Buffer Days
Reserve days for bad weather.
- Day 8: Barrels Camp – Terskol Village
Return to Terskol. Overnight hotel in Terskol and summit party!
- Day 9: Terskol – Mineralnye Vody Airport
Transfer to the airport, flight home.
- All travel from Mineralnye Vody Airport and back
- All arrangements for staying and camping while on trip
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in Tents/Hotel
- All meals as mentioned in itinerary & safe drinking water
- Elbrus Cable Lifts
- Peak fee/sanctuary fee/royalty/permits where applicable
- Sleeping bag
- Flights not included in the above-mentioned cost
- Any transfers or meals outside of itinerary
- Bottled water
- Items of personal clothing
- Expenses of any personal nature (laundry / phone calls / alcohol / cigarettes / insurance / camera fee / etc.)
- Any expense incurred due to force of nature such as landslides, bad weather or reasons beyond our control
- Tips & gratuities (we recommend 5-10% of your trip cost- to be distributed among the team) – personal choice
- Travel & cancellation insurance
A bunch of us friends recently got in touch with Aquaterra Adventures to set up a whitewater rafting trip on the Tons River in the north Indian state of Uttarakhand. The Aquaterra team were excellent in every way: they were superbly efficient, highly reassuringly safe and extremely warm, friendly and hospitable.
There isn’t a more classy example of a team that is so well organised, courteous, warm and welcoming! The arrangements right from the camping sights, food, refreshments and stay were so extremely comfortable, of-course the food and the variety offered just beat everything else.
Camp Bagi (near Mori, Uttarakhand) is a beautifully located and professionally maintained wilderness camping site. Operated by Aquaterra, the gold standard in adventure tours in India, it offered us a highly memorable rafting, hiking and camping experience over the 4 days that we stayed there (May 28-31, 2019)
Great job by the team, especially Rana. We went with 2 kids aged 2.5 yrs and 6.5 yrs and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. My elder one loved the trek and the rafting experience was great too! Definitely recommend it for others.
We strive to create the best trips possible for you, with uncommon professionalism, unsurpassed personal service and a commitment to protect and preserve the cultures and environments through which we travel. Get in touch with us to plan your next holiday