The Kali river forms the international border between India and Nepal in its upper reaches. A self-contained river journey down this river is one of the prime options in this part of the Himalaya. The river flows past terraced farms of Kumaoni and Nepali villages, fresh water streams, sandy beaches, thick tropical jungles, plantations as we travel downstream through the terai belt negotiating exciting white water. With the Mahseer making it an angler’s delight, the lack of road access makes it a complete wilderness journey. After the first few days of serene float past its confluence with the Saryu at Pancheshwar (also a famous fishing spot) with the occasional big rapid, the Kali makes its final descent to the plains in the last day on the river, beginning with the mighty Chooka rapid. Flowing past the terai hills after densely forested hillsides, this trip is an outdoor wilderness experience in a league of its own.
- Day 1: Delhi – Kathgodam
Board overnight train from Delhi – Kathgodam.
- Day 2: Kathgodam – Pithoragarh
Drive Kathgodam to Pithoragarh (07 hrs). Overnight at rest house. Views of Panchuli more than compensate for the drive.
- Day 3: Camp 1 – Confluence Camp
Drive Pithoragarh to put-in at Jhulaghat (02 hrs). Raft an initiation stretch of 15 kms of class 2+ rapids passing many stalactite and stalagmite formations. Camp by late afternoon and hike to a nearby village.
- Day 4: Camp 1 – Confluence Camp
We pass Pancheshwar where the Kali meets the Saryuand is now called the Sarda. We camp below the confluence for a relaxed afternoon.
- Day 5: Confluence Camp – Camp 3
The river begins to get pacy as we negotiate a series of class 3 rapids. The day is marked by thick jungles and less-inhabited sections. Camp overnight.
- Day 6: Camp 3
Rest day to explore the surroundings, hike and relax. You can also walk to a waterfall and take a dip in its cool waters.
- Day 7: Camp 3 – Chooka Camp
Today, we raft 20kms to camp below the Class 4 Chooka rapid.
- Day 8: Chooka Camp – Delhi
We begin to enter the Terai jungles today with great white water and the chance of spotting a wild elephant. We reach boom for the drive to Rudrapur. Reach Delhi by 9:10 pm.
- All arrangements for staying and camping while on trip
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in tents / hotel
- All meals as mentioned in itinerary & safe drinking water
- All rafting arrangements with India’s most experienced guiding team, camp staff and cooks
- Porterage upto 15kg/person
- Peak fee / sanctuary fee / royalty / permits where applicable
- Sleeping bag
- Flights not included in the above-mentioned cost
- Any transfers or meals outside of itinerary
- Bottled water
- Items of personal clothing
- Expenses of any personal nature (laundry / phone calls / alcohol / cigarettes / insurance / camera fee / etc.)
- Any expense incurred due to force of nature such as landslides, bad weather or reasons beyond our control
- Tips & gratuities (we recommend 5-10% of your trip cost- to be distributed among the team) – personal choice
- Travel & cancellation insurance
This trip was awesome. All from being pick up at Delhi Station and until we headed back, everything was under control and easy. The guides definitely know what they are doing and everything from the food to the other people on the trip just made the trip complete!
The coolest part is that this River is that it is the border between India & Nepal! so you have Nepal on the left & India on the right coming downriver! In this case, truly, the journey was the destination! A superb trip organized by Aquaterra! Kudos to them!
A wonderful 10 day trip on the River Kali. We were only 4 guests and the organisation, safety, hygiene, awesome food and best of all the friendly guides and staff which have become the hallmark of Aquaterra trips were all there.
Spent an awesome six days rafting down the 130 km stretch from Jaljibi to Boom. First time on a river, never been so wet in my life !! The Aquaterra team knows it job and does it with absolute ease, no doubt about it … so if you are looking at six days of life without the incessantly ringing mobile phone , take a trip down the Kali with them.
We strive to create the best trips possible for you, with uncommon professionalism, unsurpassed personal service and a commitment to protect and preserve the cultures and environments through which we travel. Get in touch with us to plan your next holiday