This high altitude lake (4600m) lies in the lap of Trishul massif. A shallow lake, Roopkund has attracted attention by having human skeletal remains easily visible at its bottom. There are many theories and opinions, from purely spiritual to purely scientific ones, which explain the existence of these skeletons, which date back to 14th century AD. Marked by typical Garhwali villages busy in their own way and the extensive meadows this trek is special.
- Day 1: Delhi to Kathgodam
Board the overnight Ranikhet Express leaving Old Delhi railway station at 09:55 pm.
- Day 2: Drive Kathmandu to Pokhra and trek to Birethanti (1,000m) 8-9 hrs drive & 30mins trek.
Arrive Kathgodam early in the morning by 6:00 am. Board the waiting vehicles to drive straight to Kausani, breakfast enroute. Kausani is 140 kms from the Kathgodam railway station and we arrive just in time for lunch. Kausani offers a panoramic view of the snow capped Himalayan peaks. Overnight Hotel.
- Day 3: Drive Kausani to Lohajung (2320m) 6 hrs
Have a relaxed start. Post breakfast carry on towards Tali. The trail climbs diagonally up on the Gorson Bugyal and then traverses down to the forest. We camp a little ahead of a small water body at Tali.
- Day 4: Lohajung to Didina(2550m) 5 hrs
Walk down diagonally across to the valley of the Bedni Ganga. Cross over to the other side of the valley and climb past the village of Didna through thick forests of pine, rhododendron, and oak to reach the campsite at an idyllic pastoral setting.
- Day 5: Didina to Bedni Bugyal (3330m) via Ali Bugyal 7-8 hrs
The trail now follows the ridge with lovely views of towering summits of Chaukhamba, Neelkanth and Kedarnath on one hand and the picture postcard views of the villages of Wan, Didna and Kulin on the other. A climb through a rhododendron forest takes us to the meadows of Ali Bugyal rolling on to join equally magnificent meadows of Bedni Bugyal (3350m).
- Day 6: Bhagubasa to Roopkund (4600m) to Bedni Bugyal 8 hrs
Now we are in the high altitude country. The trail climbs up to the Pathar Nachauni ridge to get closer views of Trisul, Nanda Ghunti, and Changabang. A steep zigzag brings us to the caves of Bhagubasa where one can find some rock shelters which are used by the pilgrims. Camp next to these improvised shelters at an altitude of 4100m.
- Day 7: Bhagubasa to Roopkund (4600m) to Bedni Bugyal 8 hrs
After an early morning breakfast climb the steep zig-zag and narrow trail leading to the Skeleton lake of Roopkund (4600m). If the snow cover is not too thick, one would find the skeletal remains of the humans and horses dating back to 13th century. A steep walk up from here to the ridge gives a close up view of Trisul and Nanda Ghunti. Return all the way down to camp at Bedni Bugyal.
- Day 8: Trek Bedni Bugyal to Wan (2440m) and drive to Rudraprayag
Descend steeply through the forests of fir, rhododendron and pine to reach the valley floor. Cross over and climb to the village of Wan(2440m). Drive 5 hrs to reach the comforts of a hotel in Rudraprayag.
- Day 9: Rudraprayag to Delhi
After a relaxed breakfast in the morning, drive 5 hrs from Rudraprayag to Haridwar. Board the evening Shatabdi Express to arrive Delhi by 10:45pm. Trip ends!
- All arrangements for staying and camping while on trip
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in tents / hotel
- All meals as mentioned in itinerary & safe drinking water
- All trip arrangements with India’s most experienced guiding team, camp staff and cooks
- Individual rafting equipement
- Peak fee / sanctuary fee / royalty / permits where applicable
- Sleeping bag
- Flights not included in the above-mentioned cost
- Any transfers or meals outside of itinerary
- Bottled water
- Items of personal clothing
- Expenses of any personal nature (laundry / phone calls / alcohol / cigarettes / insurance / camera fee / etc.)
- Any expense incurred due to force of nature such as landslides, bad weather or reasons beyond our control
- Tips & gratuities (we recommend 5-10% of your trip cost- to be distributed among the team) – personal choice
- Travel & cancellation insurance
Aquaterra Adventures are beyond excellent in every way, and I strongly recommend them to anyone considering an action adventure in India. Their guides are excellent in every way, and organisation and equipment – top quality. We could not be happier.
We did the Kuari trek, our guide & team were outstanding. We were well looked after & the food was delicious. I’ve trekked with many companies but this is definitely on top in terms of service & quality of manpower.
Contemplating whether we should holiday in Ladakh or Jammu, we spent a weekend. Then a friend told us about Aquaterra, India. And the moment we checked their website, there was no looking back.
We were a group of seven women who were trekking for the very first time. Aquaterra did a great job taking care of all of us. They were very professional, very punctual about time, food was excellent (one can’t think of good food at the Himalayas but this was different).
We strive to create the best trips possible for you, with uncommon professionalism, unsurpassed personal service and a commitment to protect and preserve the cultures and environments through which we travel. Get in touch with us to plan your next holiday