Dodital is said to be the birth place of Lord Ganesh, and is also the source of the Assi Ganga, a tributary to the Bhagirathi. It is named after the rare Dodi (Himalayan Trout) that can be found in this lake. A moderate trek which starts from the Bhagirathi valley, goes up to the lake of Dodital (wrapped in perfect wilderness) to the alpine meadows and tops out at Darwa Pass (4150m). Traditionally this trek has been continuously used by the Gujjars, the herdsmen who get their buffalos to the high meadows every summer and occasionally by the pilgrims/sadhus walking between Gangotri and Yamunotri.
- Day 1: Dehradun Airport – Kuflon (1550 M)
Fly in to the Jolly Grant Airport by 9 AM. Board waiting vehicles to be driven straight to Kuflon Basics, 11 kms from Uttarkashi in the valley of the Assi Ganga. (6-7 hr drive).
- Day 2: Kuflon – Bevra (2400 M)
Depart for Bevra – the walk is 8 kms (4-5 hrs). Bevra is a camping spot 1.5 kms ahead of Agoda village. A dip in the stream in Bevra is the best way to wash out the first day body aches.
- Day 3: Bevra – Dodital (3310 M)
After an early morning breakfast, we gradually trek to Dodital (7 hrs), with packed lunch. Rhododendron and Oak trees dot the trek, with occasional Sea Buckthorn bushes.
- Day 4: Dodital – Darwa Pass – Dodital (3310 M)
Start early morning with packed breakfast for Darwa Pass (4150m). The walk to Darwa top is 5 kms (2-3 hrs). The entire walk is an uphill climb that starts along the feeder to Dodital breaking into a thick birch forest which opens to the high meadows. Filled with Himalayan wild flowers, Darwa top offers sweeping views of the Bandarpunch and Swargarohini range of peaks. Absorb the breath-taking views and start the downhill walk to reach the campsite for hot lunch. Alternatively, spend this day sipping tea, catching up with local tales and walking around the lake sighting birds and trout.
- Day 5: Dodital – Kuflon (1550 M)
Carry on the downhill trek which at times is very steep to reach Kuflon Basics (6-8 hrs). On reaching Kuflon cleanse yourself with a hot water bath or take a dip in the nearby natural water pool. Dinner followed by bonfire and mountain stories.
- Day 6: Kuflon – Dehradun Airport
Have an easy start, let the aching muscles rest. An early lunch / brunch and drive back to the Airport to board the evening Flight back home.
- All arrangements for staying and camping while on trip
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in tents / hotel
- All meals as mentioned in itinerary & safe drinking water
- All trip arrangements with India’s most experienced guiding team, camp staff and cooks
- Peak fee / sanctuary fee / royalty / permits where applicable
- Sleeping bag
- Flights not included in the above-mentioned cost
- Any transfers or meals outside of itinerary
- Bottled water
- Items of personal clothing
- Expenses of any personal nature (laundry / phone calls / alcohol / cigarettes / insurance / camera fee / etc.)
- Any expense incurred due to force of nature such as landslides, bad weather or reasons beyond our control
- Tips & gratuities (we recommend 5-10% of your trip cost- to be distributed among the team) – personal choice
- Travel & cancellation insurance
The trek was well managed, with the porters and mules making it to our camp site each day and setting up the tents for us. And it was amazing to have hot meals every day, the quality of the food that we had on the trek was some of the best that we had in India. Samrat and Prem, the guides from Aquaterra, took care of us very well.
We booked Aquaterra from Sydney, Australia as my wife (originally from Pune India) had heard a lot of good things about them in the past. The hike up to Dodital and Darwa Pass was challenging enough and we were very well looked after by the guides. I’d do another trek with them for sure.
From beginning to end, my trip with Aquaterra Adventures was absolutely flawless. Although I have done a lot of solo travel before. You can tell Aquaterra Adventures is more than a travel company, the staff seem to view each other as family which was really heartwarming.
Great job by the team, especially Rana. We went with 2 kids aged 2.5 yrs and 6.5 yrs and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. My elder one loved the trek and the rafting experience was great too! Definitely recommend it for others.
We strive to create the best trips possible for you, with uncommon professionalism, unsurpassed personal service and a commitment to protect and preserve the cultures and environments through which we travel. Get in touch with us to plan your next holiday