Meandering through the Tons Valley this trek in Uttrakhand provides a rich cultural experience and is a paradise for bird watchers and nature lovers. Go through the villages of this valley that rarely see tourists and be transported back in time.
Trek through quaint villages, alpine meadows littered with wildflowers and moraine ridges to get magnificent views of snow packed peaks.
- Day 1: Delhi – Dehradun – Tons (1150 M)
Arrive at Haridwar by the morning Shatabdi. Alternatively, you can fly in to the Jolly Grant Airport by 12 noon. Board waiting vehicles to be driven for 6 hours to reach Aquaterra’s Camp Bagi in the secluded Tons Valley.
- Day 2: Tons – Saras (2300 M)
Your journey begins with an exciting 1 hour drive to Thali. From here, we take a gradual meandering trail for 4 hours to reach Saras village.
- Day 3: Saras – Balcha (3200 M)
Walk through Deodar forests today with intermittent steep sections. We take 6 hours to reach the Balcha grasslands.
- Day 4: Balcha – Jotwadi (2400 M)
Morning exploration of the Balcha grasslands. Post lunch, we start our descend with a 3 hour gradual descend through meadows and Deodar forests to reach Jotwadi village.
- Day 5: Jotwadi – Camp Bagi (1150 M)
We descend through more temperate forests today to reach the roadhead after a 20 min walk. Board waiting vehicles to reach Camp Bagi after a 2.5-hour drive. Evening walk/ rafting trip around the camp as per the season.
- Day 6: Camp Bagi – Dehradun / Haridwar
We leave Camp after breakfast to take the evening flight / Shatabdi back to Delhi.
- All arrangements for staying and camping while on trip
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in tents / hotel
- All meals as mentioned in itinerary & safe drinking water
- All trip arrangements with India’s most experienced guiding team, camp staff and cooks
- Porterage upto 15kg/person
- Peak fee / sanctuary fee / royalty / permits where applicable
- Sleeping bag
- Flights not included in the above-mentioned cost
- Any transfers or meals outside of itinerary
- Bottled water
- Items of personal clothing
- Expenses of any personal nature (laundry / phone calls / alcohol / cigarettes / insurance / camera fee / etc.)
- Any expense incurred due to force of nature such as landslides, bad weather or reasons beyond our control
- Tips & gratuities (we recommend 5-10% of your trip cost- to be distributed among the team) – personal choice
- Travel & cancellation insurance
A bunch of us friends recently got in touch with Aquaterra Adventures to set up a whitewater rafting trip on the Tons River in the north Indian state of Uttarakhand. The Aquaterra team were excellent in every way: they were superbly efficient, highly reassuringly safe and extremely warm, friendly and hospitable.
There isn’t a more classy example of a team that is so well organised, courteous, warm and welcoming! The arrangements right from the camping sights, food, refreshments and stay were so extremely comfortable, of-course the food and the variety offered just beat everything else.
Camp Bagi (near Mori, Uttarakhand) is a beautifully located and professionally maintained wilderness camping site. Operated by Aquaterra, the gold standard in adventure tours in India, it offered us a highly memorable rafting, hiking and camping experience over the 4 days that we stayed there (May 28-31, 2019)
Great job by the team, especially Rana. We went with 2 kids aged 2.5 yrs and 6.5 yrs and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. My elder one loved the trek and the rafting experience was great too! Definitely recommend it for others.
We strive to create the best trips possible for you, with uncommon professionalism, unsurpassed personal service and a commitment to protect and preserve the cultures and environments through which we travel. Get in touch with us to plan your next holiday