Baraadsar Lake, considered sacred by the local community, is one of the lesser known walks in this corner of the Himalaya. It is located at an altitude of 4300m on the cusp of the Rupin and Supin watersheds in Western Garhwal. According to local lore, a prayer to the Gods at the Baraadsar lake never goes unanswered! Beginning our climb at Sankri, the climb to the Lake goes through villages and thick forest, eventually gaining the ridge separating the Rupin and Supin valleys. This walk on offers great views of the greater Himalaya – Swargarohini, Kalanag and Bandarpunch and scenic views of the Baraadsar Lake. Our ascent culminates at a point on the ridge at 4400m before we arrive at Baraadsar – our lake of dreams.
- Day 1: Delhi – Dehradun – Tons (1150 M)
Arrive at Haridwar by the morning Shatabdi. Alternatively, you can fly in to the Jolly Grant Airport by 12 noon. Board waiting vehicles to be driven for 6 hours to reach Aquaterra’s Camp Bagi in the secluded Tons Valley. You can also come in a day early and enjoy rafting on the Tons River.
- Day 2: Tons – Sankri – Barathachar (2500 M)
After early morning breakfast, leave Camp by 7:30am and drive 1 hour to Sankri. We walk 1.5 hours to Paincha village. We walk 4 more hours to reach Pithari village and camp right above the village in the Barathchar village. Dinner and overnight at camp.
- Day 3: Barathachar – Dhaldhar (3500 M)
Today is a four hour walk to Dhaldhar at 3500m.
- Day 4: Dhaldhar – Deobasa (3400 M)
We need to acclimatise as well so this short walk for the day is good. Besides its a pretty ridge walk all the way to Deobasa.
- Day 5: Deobasa – Baraadsar (4300 M)
We walk 5 hours to the beautiful Baraadsar Lake and camp near its shore.
- Day 6: Baraadsar (4300m)
Rest, relax, read or take a short walk around camp.
- Day 7: Baraadsar – Rala (2700 M)
We retrace our steps to head back to Rala for the night.
- Day 8: Rala – Tons (1150 M)
Today we walk back to roadhead at Sankri via Rala and Kasha (4-5 hrs). Drive To Camp Bagi for a hot shower and a big meal!
- Day 9: Tons – Dehradun
After breakfast drive all the way down to Dehradun to board the evening Shatabdi back to Delhi. Dinner on the train. Reach Delhi by midnight. Trip Ends!
- Travel from Delhi and back by road / rail (by non-AC / 2 or 3 tier AC coach)
- All arrangements for staying and camping while on trip
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in tents / hotel
- All meals as mentioned in itinerary & safe drinking water
- All trip arrangements with India’s most experienced guiding team, camp staff and cooks
- Porterage upto 15kg/person
- Peak fee / sanctuary fee / royalty / permits where applicable
- Sleeping bag
- Flights not included in the above-mentioned cost
- Any transfers or meals outside of itinerary
- Bottled water
- Items of personal clothing
- Expenses of any personal nature (laundry / phone calls / alcohol / cigarettes / insurance / camera fee / etc.)
- Any expense incurred due to force of nature such as landslides, bad weather or reasons beyond our control
- Tips & gratuities (we recommend 5-10% of your trip cost- to be distributed among the team) – personal choice
- Travel & cancellation insurance
A bunch of us friends recently got in touch with Aquaterra Adventures to set up a whitewater rafting trip on the Tons River in the north Indian state of Uttarakhand. The Aquaterra team were excellent in every way: they were superbly efficient, highly reassuringly safe and extremely warm, friendly and hospitable.
There isn’t a more classy example of a team that is so well organised, courteous, warm and welcoming! The arrangements right from the camping sights, food, refreshments and stay were so extremely comfortable, of-course the food and the variety offered just beat everything else.
Camp Bagi (near Mori, Uttarakhand) is a beautifully located and professionally maintained wilderness camping site. Operated by Aquaterra, the gold standard in adventure tours in India, it offered us a highly memorable rafting, hiking and camping experience over the 4 days that we stayed there (May 28-31, 2019)
Great job by the team, especially Rana. We went with 2 kids aged 2.5 yrs and 6.5 yrs and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. My elder one loved the trek and the rafting experience was great too! Definitely recommend it for others.
We strive to create the best trips possible for you, with uncommon professionalism, unsurpassed personal service and a commitment to protect and preserve the cultures and environments through which we travel. Get in touch with us to plan your next holiday