The Subansiri “Gold River” is the biggest tributary of the Upper Brahmaputra and descends through verdant rainforests in the tribal state of Arunachal Pradesh. It drains the waters beyond the Great Himalayan Range spanning from Tsona Dzong up to the Great Loop of the Tsangpo in Tibet slicing through the Eastern Himalayas to flow into India at Asaphila through the rugged isolated hinterland of Arunachal. It has a run of 170 km in Tibet, 250 km in the Eastern Himalayas and 86 km in the plains of Assam before joining the Great Brahmaputra at the mystic confluence of Majuli – the largest inhabited river island in the world. The river has no road artery linking it on either side of the Great Himalayan Range spanning about 150 km. Very difficult terrain with vertical rock faces with only very sparse inhabitation in the belt has kept and continue to keep the upper reaches of this challenging river isolated. This beckoning river is challenging and demanding. It has volume, flow and adrenal flowing rapids set in a scenic breathtaking environment astride the Eastern Himalayas with its diverse warm-hearted hill people with their unique traditions and customs spread over a millennia with the inevitable change encroaching upon them rapidly.
- Day 1: Dibrugarh Arrival
Arrive Delhi and transfer to domestic airport. Arrive Dibrugarh late afternoon by air. Transfer to hotel. Check in and expedition briefing at tea time. Evening local Assamese “sit down” dinner, is an absolute delight. Wind up for an early start the next day.
- Day 2: Dibrugarh – Basar
Early morning transfer through tea gardens to BoghiwheelGhat (45 mins) and ferry across the massive Brahmaputra river to cross onto the northern bank. A long 6hrs drive up to Basar. Overnight hotel.
- Day 3: Basar – Menga
Drive up to Menga (4 hrs). Camp.
- Day 4: Drive to Taliha, begin river trip
Drive an hour to begin river trip. Overnight Menga.
- Day 5: Menga – Wilderness Camp
6 hr run from Menga to Wilderness Camp.
- Day 6: Wilderness Camp – Tree Log Sunshine Beach Camp
3 hr run to Tree Log beach.
- Day 7: Tree Log Camp to Paradise beach
5 hr run to Paradise Beach. Rest and relax, hike, or take a walk on this most amazing campsite.
- Day 8: Paradise beach
Rest day. Soak in the final bit of the Subansiri.
- Day 9: Tiger Beach – Dibrugarh
We run 90 mins to the dam.Take out and drive 3 hrs 30 mins to Boghiheel Ghat. Transfer to hotel. Overnight Dibrugarh.
- Day 10: Dibrugarh
Transfer to airport for flight back home. Trip ends.
- All transfers in a non-AC vehicle as per the itinerary
- All arrangements for staying and camping while on trip
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in tents / hotel
- All meals as mentioned in itinerary & safe drinking water
- All trip arrangements with India’s most experienced guiding team, camp staff and cooks
- All common camping and rafting equipment
- Porterage upto 15kg/person
- Peak fee / sanctuary fee / royalty / permits where applicable
- Sleeping bag
- Flights not included in the above-mentioned cost
- Any transfers or meals outside of itinerary
- Bottled water
- Items of personal clothing
- Expenses of any personal nature (laundry / phone calls / alcohol / cigarettes / insurance / camera fee / etc.)
- Any expense incurred due to force of nature such as landslides, bad weather or reasons beyond our control
- Tips & gratuities (we recommend 5-10% of your trip cost- to be distributed among the team) – personal choice
- Travel & cancellation insurance
There isn’t a more classy example of a team that is so well organised, courteous, warm and welcoming! The arrangements right from the camping sights, food, refreshments and stay were so extremely comfortable, of-course the food and the variety offered just beat everything else.
Camp Bagi (near Mori, Uttarakhand) is a beautifully located and professionally maintained wilderness camping site. Operated by Aquaterra, the gold standard in adventure tours in India, it offered us a highly memorable rafting, hiking and camping experience over the 4 days that we stayed there (May 28-31, 2019)
Great job by the team, especially Rana. We went with 2 kids aged 2.5 yrs and 6.5 yrs and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. My elder one loved the trek and the rafting experience was great too! Definitely recommend it for others.
We strive to create the best trips possible for you, with uncommon professionalism, unsurpassed personal service and a commitment to protect and preserve the cultures and environments through which we travel. Get in touch with us to plan your next holiday