Exploratory trek in Ladakh ! Tsarap river carries glacial affluents from the Rupshu plateau and runs for a few kms along the Manali Leh highway north of the Baralacha Pass before taking a tortuous course through the mountains flowing in the north-west direction. It abruptly turns south through a gorge which at places is as narrow as 3 metres. It flows past the great Phuktal gompa which is constructed within a huge cave in the cliff face, parts of monastery cling precariously to the sheer wall taking advantage of every little projection. It joins the Kargiakh flowing from Shingo-La to form Lugnak which again for much of its length is narrow, rocky and forbidding – the name Lugnak indeed means “dark gorge”. Very little is known about the trail along the Tsarap which at many places has to be crossed on rope bridges. The trek finishes at Karsha outside Padum, the heart of Zanskar.
- Day 1: Board the overnight train departing Delhi at 11:20 pm.
- Day 2: Drive Kiratpur Sahib to Manali 8 hrs.
- Day 3: Drive Manali to Darcha 6 hrs.
- Day 4: Drive Darcha to Sarchu 4 hrs.
- Day 5: Trek to Tsomichik
- Day 6: Trek Tsomichik – Manali
- Day 7: Trek Manali – Chhomo Gompa
- Day 8: Trek Chhomo Gompa – Yaytah
- Day 9: Trek Yaytah – Phuktal
- Day 10: Rest Day
- Day 11: Trek Phuktal – Ichar – Pang Pepul
- Day 12: Drive / trek to Padum.
- Day 13: Karsha. Camp.
- Day 13: Drive Karsha to Kargil.
- Day 14: Drive Kargil to Leh.
- Day 16-17: In Leh. Rest / Sightseeing
- Day 18: Fly Leh – Delhi
FROM PREVIOUS EXPEDITIONS
Take a look at photos & videos from previous journeys. Read testimonials from our new & regular clients.
Aquaterra Promo Video
Life on an Aquaterra Trek
- All transfers as per the itinerary (Leh airport to Leh airport)
- Guided sightseeing of monasteries for half day at Leh with an English speaking guide.
- Transport and return to Leh at the end of the trip by bus/jeeps.
- Camp and kitchen equipment, fuel and food for the duration of ice trek.
- Guide, cook and Zanskari porters for the duration of trek. We cater for carrying up to 20 kilos of personal baggage per member including the sleeping bag.
- Sleeping bag
- Flights not included in the above-mentioned cost
- Any transfers or meals outside of itinerary
- Bottled water
- Items of personal clothing
- Expenses of any personal nature (laundry / phone calls / alcohol / cigarettes / insurance / camera fee / etc.)
- Any expense incurred due to force of nature such as landslides, bad weather or reasons beyond our control
- Tips & gratuities (we recommend 5-10% of your trip cost- to be distributed among the team) – personal choice
- Travel & cancellation insurance
WHY GO WITH AQUATERRA ADVENTURES
A question easy to answer, you may wonder, in an age where adventure travel is apparently booming. Varying costs are available and there is no shortage of operators willing to run your trip. This is possibly the most important decision for you to make, after you have chosen to take on an adventure trip.
An Experienced Team
Our team of guides has years of experience of travel throughout the Indian Himalaya, from running rivers to leading treks – from the barren Zanskar to the tropical rainforest of Arunachal Pradesh. They speak English, have completed graduate school, are current with First Aid and CPR certification and form the most experienced guiding team in the country today.
Value for Money
The prices of our trips provide a high value for money returns. They are priced to keep our standards high and your trip, smooth. Cost usually is a deciding factor for many a trip, but for an adventure trip, the deciding factor should be confidence in your operator. We combine high operator confidence with a pricing balanced to give you a trip to remember.
Equipment on all our adventure travel trips matches worldwide standards. On treks, we use 4 season 2-person tents, which can withstand the harshest weather conditions, and keep you dry and protected from the elements. Outfitter wings accompany all mountain trips for dining under.
Our staff is trained in hygienic preparation of meals and offers a great variety of food on an outdoor trip. Good equipment, food and guides is what makes an outdoor trip an experience to savour.
WHAT TRAVELLERS SAY ABOUT US
Scream and Shout! For I just completed the hardest treks in the Himalayas, the lesser known Auden’s Col Trek. It tests you, beats you down but you when you summit starting in the wee hours of the morning you know that it couldn’t have been a better decision not for just the moment but for life.
Well what a wonderful trip it was, we were 14 climbers with about 60 helpers including guide and porters. It could not have been better, right from our stay at Kuflon to Pooja at Gangotri to climb to the Auden’s to stay at the glaciers and finally a walk through the forest which can beat the amazon.
A difficult trek made so much easier by the professional, ever-ready-to-help, alert trek leaders of Aquaterra. The support staff was wonderful and made the hard days lighter by their cheerful attitude. All along it felt not like client and staff but friends out for a trek.
Mr. T.S Sareen
Everything right from the beginning till the end – the pre-trip updates, travel planning, itinerary, equipment, camping sites, medical help and preparedness, food, etc. were all well thought, planned and great.
GET IN TOUCH TO BOOK!
Join us for a trip of a lifetime, if you crave for some high end adventure!
We strive to create the best trips possible for you, with uncommon professionalism, unsurpassed personal service and a commitment to protect and preserve the cultures and environments through which we travel. Get in touch with us to plan your next holiday